Thursday, November 17, 2011

My thoughts on the Middle East


Aren't these children beautiful? I have a special place in my heart for children... and especially Arab children. Their story is often one of hardship and defeat, but also of courage and strength.
They are those who are born into difficult situations and uncertain circumstances. I've learned in my 21 years on Earth, that God loves all His children. These little ones are not forgotten nor forsaken.
I've always had quite the interest in the Middle East. I'm not sure exactly when that interest started.
I keep up on current events so maybe that's why I've taken a liking to them.
When I went to BYU-Idaho I took a class titled MIDDLE EAST: THE ROOTS OF CONFLICT. I think its pretty debatable that Arabs are more similar to Latter Day Saints than mainstream Americans are. Whether you agree or not you would have to admit that its pretty arguable. These people are fascinating. The ones you see on CNN are the extremists, generally. Typical Muslims are family oriented, hospitable, and dedicated to their faith. What's not to love?
If you would like to read more, now that I've peaked your interest, here are a few sites and books I highly recommend to look over.
1. Understanding Arabs is a book which goes through Middle East culture. Everything from business to family differences. It's written by Margaret K. Nydell. Such a fascinating book.
2. The Next suggestion is a website that myself and other classmates put together at Byu-I. www.middleeast.weebly.com
3. Then there is a Middle Eastern news website. The media often creates a lens that we as westerners and them as Middle Easterners see each other. This website translate their news into English for educational purposes. http://www.linktv.org/mosaic


No comments:

Post a Comment