Monday, May 28, 2012

If we all were Tailors...

I love my past friends from when I lived in Layton, High School friends, ward friends, and college roommates. I love my family. I don't mean to use this article to take jabs at anyone. I've noticed something all of us (especially myself) do at times and its bothered me.

Today's post is about changing and letting people change. I love to keep up with friends and family via technology and visit with them whenever I can. We are all people. We are all growing and learning each step of the way. I have strengths and weaknesses and so do you! I am aware of my weaknesses, sometimes more than I am aware of my strengths. I don't have a flawless past. Even when others make mistakes and you think you see clearly how wrong they are, you might be the one who is wrong. More than anyone, they know what mistakes they have made. People are divinely given the ability to CHANGE. So, LET THEM CHANGE. 

 From an article recently on KSL I took the following from Coach Kim: "These experiences do not define who you are. They are just places you've been. Just because you spent time traveling through Texas doesn’t make you a Texan. Texas was a location on your journey; it is not who you are." 
     Can I add its not who other people are either? 

Yes, once that girl kissed that boy who she barely knew. Yes, that boy came to school smelling like cigarette smoke. Did you think that maybe she was craving attention because her father doesn't give her any. Or did you think that maybe the boy was lucky to get to school on his own with parents who are passed out on the couch from a night of partying? I know people like this. They are amazing from what they have come from. They already feel inadequate. Your job as a follower of Christ is to help them remember the Son or Daughter of God that they are!

I saw another quote at work the other day (Thanks Michaela :D) it read, "The only man who behaved sensibly was my tailor; he took my measurements anew every time he saw me, while all the rest went on with their old measurements and expected them to fit me. " - George Bernard Shaw

We should all be like tailors. Let us not expect others to fit into the same stereotypes we gave them ten years ago. Let us let others feel like the irreplaceable value able people they are. Let us practice Christ like behavior as we STOP IT. :D  http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/04/the-merciful-obtain-mercy

A favorite story of mine is of a prison warden who changed an entire prison. Clinton T. Duffy was often seen going through the prison unarmed and kindly speaking with prisoners. In President Monson's talk To the Rescue he said,
"Another principle of truth which will guide us in our determination is that boys and men can change. I’m reminded of the words of a prison warden who taught this fact. A critic who knew of Warden Duffy’s efforts to rehabilitate men said, “Don’t you know that leopards can’t change their spots?”
Warden Duffy responded, 
“You should know I don’t work with leopards. I work with men, and men change every day.” 

I am not perfect. I have made mistakes. They do not define me. They are places I've been on my life's journey. Let me move on. Like the tailor, we all should take new measurements each time and see others in a way that is more fitting.

1 comment:

  1. This is so amazing Paige, i read this and started crying (it could be that im prego) but you are so right and thank you for posting this ! you are a great sister! i really needed to hear this!

    ReplyDelete